Depression is a mental and physical illness. Depression usually begins gradually and gets progressively worse. Suddenly everything seems wrong and hopes for the future have faded away. Although this perception feels very real at the time, it is completely false. Most depression survivors say that during their depression, they never would have imagined how amazing their lives would become after they found help.
The first step to getting help is by identifying a problem. Learn the signs and symptoms of depression now and get started on the path to recovery programs:
Do you or someone you love suffer from any of the following?
- Loss of energy almost every day
- Loss of interest or pleasure in usually enjoyable activities
- Change in appetite, weight loss or gain for unknown reason
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Irritability or angry outbursts
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Severely depressed mood
- Trouble sleeping
- General, persistent thoughts about death or suicide
If you or your loved one is dealing with these symptoms you may have depression. Learn more about treatment options on our website or call the Depression Treatment Helpline at (866) 267-5177.